Last updated: January 2, 2017
CenterPoint Energy, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “CenterPoint”) respect your privacy. This Privacy Notice describes our privacy practices that apply to this Electric Universe website, including the portions of the website marked “Just for Teachers” (or similar designation).
Information We Collect
Visitors do not need to provide personal information, such as name and contact information, when using this website. While the website may allow you to complete a feedback form to review a game or activity, the form does not ask for personal information. You should not enter any personal information into any game/activity feedback form.
We or our service providers may use automated means – such as cookies, web beacons and other technologies – to collect information about how visitors use the website. The information we may collect by automated means includes:
• Details about the device used to access our website (such as IP address, browser, and operating system type);
• Information regarding the visits to the website (such as the webpages visitors view, navigation between webpages, and the dates and times of website visits);
• URLs that refer visitors to the website; and
• Search terms that you use to reach the website.
We may collect information from teachers through a portion of the website marked “Just for Teachers” (or similar designation). The details we may collect include professional contact information, such as name, school name and address, and email address; and username and password that the teacher may create for an online account.
We do not enable children (any individual under the age of 13) to make personal information publicly available through this website.
We do not collect, nor do we knowingly permit third parties to collect, personal information about your activities over time and across third-party websites or online services.
How We Use the Information
We Collect Please contact us with any comments or questions by mail or email as specified in the Contact Us section below, and not via a game/activity feedback form. We may use the information that we collected by automated means to:
• Operate, evaluate and improve our website and the products and services we offer;
• Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized use, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure; and
• Comply with applicable legal requirements, judicial process, and our company policies.
In addition, we may use information that we collect from teachers to establish and maintain the teacher’s account with our website; to communicate with the teacher about CenterPoint’s products and services, electric and natural gas safety; and to provide educational materials.
If you submit personal information in a game/activity feedback form, or if we learn that a child provided any personal information through the Teacher’s Portal, we will delete the personal information from the submission, unless we must retain the information to comply with our legal obligations.
Information We Share
We may share the information that we obtain in connection with the website:
• With our parent, affiliate and subsidiary companies, for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice;
• With service providers that perform services on our behalf, for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. Our service providers include Web Trends, which provides us with website analytics services, and Moore Syndication, which provides content for the website. We contractually require these service providers to use or disclose the personal information only as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements;
• To comply with legal requirements, and protect against and prevent fraud, illegal activity, and claims and other liabilities; and
• In the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets. If we engage in such a sale or transfer, we will use reasonable efforts to direct the recipient to handle the information in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice. After such a sale or transfer, you may contact the recipient with any inquiries concerning the processing of your personal information.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we maintain against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. However, we cannot guarantee that the measures we maintain will guarantee the security of the personal information.
Choices for Parents
We do not require children to provide personal information to use the website. Parents or legal guardians may contact us as specified in the Contact Us section below to ask whether we have collected their child’s personal information, to review that information (if any), and request that we stop collecting the child’s personal information or that we delete it. Before responding to a request, we reserve the right to verify that the individual contacting us is the child’s parent or legal guardian.
Choices for Teachers
Teachers may unsubscribe from receiving marketing emails from CenterPoint by following the opt-out instructions included in the email. However, we may still send teachers non-marketing communications, such as administrative emails relating to a teacher’s online account.
Updates To Our Privacy Notice
When we update this Privacy Notice, we will notify you of material changes by posting a notice on our website.
How To Contact Us
You may contact us with questions or comments about this Privacy Notice or our privacy practices at:
Data Privacy Office
1111 Louisiana St.
Houston, TX 77002
Data Privacy Office
1111 Louisiana St.
Houston, TX 77002